Let’s toast the Irish, with a great organic meal!
“Laughter is brightest where food is best” Irish Proverb
Tonight, I am serving one of my favorite dishes– Organic Corned Beef and Cabbage. Easy to make for any occasion and the best part of the meal is the company. Good friends make all the work and preparation fun.
Here’s how to do it:
Go to your local Whole Foods and buy either Kosher or grass fed beef. The butcher will help you decide how much you need. As the beef will cook slowly in a Dutch Oven prepare for some shrinkage.
- 3 pounds organic corned beef brisket (buy the spice packet which should contain allspice, clove and bay leafs)
- 10 small red or golden yukon organic potatoes
- 8 organic carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large head or green organic cabbage, cut into small wedges
- 1 bottle of Organic Chocolate Guinness Stout beer
- Place the organic corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven, cover with the beer and add water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
- Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
- Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.
Pour your guests a frosty glass of the Organic Chocolate Stout. Then toast. Here’s to the Irish! And if you ever get bored being a couch potato and dream of visiting the Irish countryside, here’s a memory I savor. Thanks to my dear friend Olivia-Newton John, we were given a Living Green and royal gift. A trip of a lifetime!